What’s new: A new peer-reviewed study published early in the journal Arthritis Care & Research looked at the connection between self-harm and several rheumatological conditions. The results suggest that people with fibromyalgia are at a higher risk of self-harm while those who live with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis also have a higher risk.
- Researchers investigated rates of self-harm among those diagnosed with fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and ankylosing spondylitis using data previously collected from patients in the U.K.
- Those with fibromyalgia were twice as likely to self-harm compared to those without the condition, while there was a significant but lower association of self-harm in those diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis
- There was no connection between self-harm risk and ankylosing spondylitis in this study
- It’s important to note that there are often many factors that lead to self-harm, which this study didn’t take into account
Physicians need to be aware of the potential for self-harm in patients with rheumatological conditions, especially fibromyalgia, and offer appropriate support and management. — Sarfaroj Khan, Medscape
The Frontlines: Fibromyalgia is a chronic illness that causes widespread muscle pain and fatigue, among other symptoms, and it’s often misunderstood, misdiagnosed or dismissed by medical professionals.
- There is no laboratory test to diagnose fibromyalgia, which can lead to many patients being misdiagnosed or having their symptoms labeled as “all in their head”
- Fibromyalgia most commonly affects women, with the risk being twice as high as it is for men
- Adults with fibromyalgia are over three times more likely to have clinical depression than adults without fibromyalgia. Depression also has a high association with self-injury
- There’s also a significant overlap between experiencing trauma and fibromyalgia — trauma is believed to be one of the things that can trigger the illness. Keep in mind, not everyone with fibromyalgia has experienced trauma
Pour ceux qui ne comprennent pas la fibromyalgie n'ignorez pas ces symptômes mortels de la fibromyalgie La costochondrite, cause de douleurs thoraciques chez les patients atteints de fibromyalgie Le mystère de la fibromyalgie est enfin résolu! II Fibromyalgie La fatigue liée à la fibromyalgie est plus que la simple fatigue